Dental Crowns in Charlotte, NC
Dental crowns, also called ‘caps,’ are placed over damaged teeth to restore the size, shape, strength, and appearance of the teeth. Dental crowns are also an effective way to fill unsightly gaps, preserve tooth function, and restore your smile. At Dr. Linger’s office in Charlotte, NC, we offer dental crowns based on your specific needs, budget, and cosmetic preferences.
Conditions that May Require a Crown
Dental crowns may be recommended to patients for a number of reasons, with the most common cause being an irreversibly damaged tooth. Only your dentist can evaluate the tooth in question and determine if you are a good candidate for a dental crown. A crown may be recommended for the following reasons:
- To protect a weak tooth from breaking
- To hold a cracked or broken tooth together
- To hold a dental bridge in place
- To support a tooth with extreme wear
- To support a tooth with a large filling and minimal remaining tooth structure
- To cover a discolored or misshaped tooth
- To cover a tooth following root canal therapy
Types of Materials Used for Crowns
If you’ve recently found out that you need a dental crown, you may be deciding what material to choose. It’s important to choose your crown material wisely, as the various types of crowns significantly differ in terms of strength, durability, appearance, and cost. The most common materials used for modern dental crowns include:
- All-Metal Crowns: Fabricated solely of metal, all-metal crowns offer exceptional strength and dependability. Metal crowns are best for posterior teeth due to their metallic color.
- Porcelain-Fused-to-Metal Crowns: This crown option features both metal and porcelain components, providing both strength and natural tooth-like coloration. Porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns require more tooth trimming than all-metal crowns.
- All-Ceramic Crowns: This type of crown is constructed of dental ceramic, with the most common material being porcelain. All-ceramic crowns are excellent for anterior teeth due to their natural look and coloring.
Dental crowns can help you attain a confident smile you’d be proud to display. For more information about dental crowns or to schedule a consultation, contact our office today.