No matter how talented a dentist might be, if a they doesn't use an operating microscope for dental work, they are handicapping themselves. The human hands can perform tasks with much great accuracy than even the strongest human eyes can see. The high powered magnificatoin of the microscope allows for pristine and perfect dental work, a dentist needs great visualization.
This allows the doctor to see the minutiae of the mouth, which allows us work with greater precision than if we were not using a microscope. Truly great visualization is achieved with high magnification as well as high-intensity, co-axial lighting. This offers some unique benefits to the most important person in the room: the patient.
- Starting simply, the magnification a dentist receives with the patient under the microscope allows for only the highest quality of oral exams. Without this magnification, the starting signs of something as simple as cavities or as serious as periodontal disease can be missed. By catching these problems quickly and early, treatment outcomes are always more successful.
- This elevated level of awareness at the diagnostic level directly leads to increased efficiency at the treatment level. For restorative dentists, those of us generating new teeth over broken ones, being able to spot fractures of the tooth is of paramount importance. Those fractures are likely invisible at the macroscopic level, but when under the scope, they become more easily visible. This allows us to know what is a safe place to start tooth restoration.
- The microscope also allows for an increase in the ergonomics of the dentist. When you see a dentist working without a microscope, you generally see him or her leaned over the patient, with a contorted spine and distended shoulders. This leads to pain for the dentist, and can lead him to rush through treatment. With the microscope, you can be sure that your dentist is going to take his time with you, because he is comfortable.
- The comfort of the dentist allows him to increase his productivity. She can work comfortably for longer periods of time, which means she can get through a procedure in your mouth and have you out of the chair that much faster. We can all appreciate that.
- Everyone's favorite dental procedure is the root canal. Root Canal treatment using the microscope is considered the standard of care. All Endodontists (Root Canal Specialists) are now taught to use the microscope. Finding and accurately removing the nerve of the tooth without causing unnecessary damage to the remaining tooth is critical. This allows the dentist to get the job done right the first time, lowering any risk of a post-operative infection, and keeping you out of the chair for as long as possible.
- The microscope also allows for increased precision with the patient in the chair. As the doctor can now see everything in the mouth more precisely, he can minimize, if not outright eliminate, any unnecessary damage to the tissues surrounding a targeted area. This will minimize the healing time and discomfort required for the patient.
- Finally, the microscope makes a perfect tool for documentation and education. With the microscope, everyone can clearly see what issues are needing to be seen in the patient's mouth, and this allows for excellent communication between the primary dentist and other dentists. This also conveniently facilitates the education of auxiliary staff as well as the patient.
Even with so many advantages to using a microscope, only a few dentists are using one. There is no additional cost generated to the patient for the use of the equipment. It may actually save the patient some money in the long run, as it allows for higher-quality care at a much faster rate.
Even fewer Dental Hygiensists are working under microscope. We are one of the few dental offices in the world that perform dental hygiene with this level of magnification. This allows our Hygienists to perform minimally invasive treatment for gum disease.
So, you know you're in good hands and being treated with top-of-the-line equipment and staff with our practice. Don't hesitate to give us a call and we'll have your mouth clean, comfortable and healthy in no time.