In your quest for a bright, vibrant smile, you may have tried some of the many over-the-counter products promising to remove stains and whiten your teeth. After trying a few of these whitening products, you may have concluded, correctly, that they just aren't very effective. Over-the-counter whitening products typically aren't worth the investment.
The Problems Associated with Over-the-Counter Smile Whitening
The commercials and advertisements that promote over-the-counter products make these toothpastes, strips, and rinses seem like a great alternative to the whitening services typically offered in your dentist's office.
Unfortunately, these products may create more problems than they correct. Some of the typical over-the-counter products and their potential problems include:
- Whitening toothpaste may brighten your smile a bit by removing some of your surface stains, stains caused by coffee, tobacco or tea, but their results come with a price. Whitening toothpaste can be quite abrasive. They contain ingredients like baking soda and silica that wear down tooth enamel. You may also experience gum irritation and tooth sensitivity from using these products.
- Whitening Mouthwashes that promise to whiten teeth typically won't cause any damage, but they just aren't very effective. While most of these mouth rinses contain varying percentages of hydrogen peroxide, they are simply not strong enough, or even in your mouth long enough, to produce any noticeable results.
- Whitening Strips may be considered a convenient way to whiten your teeth at home, but chances are you are not going to get the results you are looking Because you are not getting good results, you may be tempted to use whitening strips more often than recommended. The result of frequent use is often pain and sensitivity.
- Over-the-Counter Whitening Trays seem to be similar to products dentists provide, in theory, but typically result in gum irritation and jaw pain due to their poor fit. The solutions or gels offered with these trays will typically not whiten your teeth as effectively as a professional whitening treatment.
Common Causes of a Dull or Stained Smile
Your teeth are porous, which makes them susceptible to stains and discoloration. In time, stains set deeply into your teeth and can dull your dazzling smile.
While you may be able to avoid some staining, it's nearly impossible to avoid all the potential causes. Some of the factors known to dull your smile or stain your teeth include:
- Foods and Beverages- the pigments in some foods and beverages will attach themselves to the surface of your teeth. Some of the common culprits include red wine, tea, and coffee
- Advancing Age – as people age, their tooth enamel can thin, revealing the dentin beneath the surface
- Tooth Injury – trauma to a tooth can result in increased dentin, which shows through tooth enamel
- Medications – some medications such as antihistamines, medications to reduce hypertension, chemotherapy, and some anti-psychotic medications can darken teeth.
- Tobacco – Smoking and tobacco use can stain your teeth. The stains are a result of tar and nicotine
Your Dentist Can Whiten Your Teeth Safely and Effectively
Whitening toothpaste may brighten your smile a bit by removing some of your surface stains, but they simply cannot penetrate deeply enough to make a significant difference. For a whiter, brighter smile, the safest and most effective whitening options are the professional tooth whitening systems provided in your dentist's office.
Many dental professionals are offering the Zoom whitening system to provide the level of whiteness their patients are looking for.
The Zoom Smile Brightening Treatment
The Zoom system is safe and effective. This whitening method combines an advanced stain-removing gel with the acceleration properties of UV light.
The zoom treatment process allows oxygen to penetrate your tooth enamel and dentin, an important distinction. The oxygenation ability of the Zoom process whitens your teeth, while leaving the structure of your teeth intact.
Your Zoom Whitening Experience
You will experience the advanced whitening powers of the Zoom Whitening system, teeth that are up to eight shades whiter, in one easy session. During your in-office Zoom treatment, the whitening gel is applied to your teeth, your lips and gums are protected.
A UV light will be left on your teeth for 15 minutes; then the gel is reapplied. Your office visit will consist of three 15-minute intervals of UV light treatment. Your whitening treatment will be concluded with a fluoride treatment to reduce your risk of tooth sensitivity.
Maintaining Your Bright Zoom Smile
You will be able to maintain your newly brighten smile with your Zoom touch-up kit. The Zoom touch-up kit provides you with a custom fit, comfortable, whitening tray and whitening gel to help you maintain your in-office results. To maintain your best results, be sure to use your home whitening system as directed by your dentist.
To experience the benefits of Zoom to enhance your smile in Charlotte, NC, contact the office of William Linger DDS, MAGD, and feel free to download our free Smile evaluation Checklist. We offer a full spectrum of state-of-the-art dental treatments, cosmetic dental services, and preventative care, so you can reveal your whitest, brightest, healthiest smile.