What is a dental implant?
A dental implant is a bio-compatible, man-made substitute to replace missing tooth roots; it is usually made of a space-age alloy of titanium. Implants come in various shapes and sizes to fit the situation.
Most are cylinders placed into bone and allowed to heal undisturbed while bone heals around them, locking them in like an anchor. After a few months, the implants are used as a foundation for replacing the missing teeth.
Dental implants restore lost chewing ability, improve appearance, end embarrassment, and give real self-confidence to patients who need them. They are a real breakthrough!
Here's How it Works...
The steps of the implant procedure itself are quite simple:
- 1) If there is a damaged tooth, it must be painlessly removed using Microsurgery.
- 2) The actual “implant”, a small threaded titanium post is planted into your actual jawbone. The minimally invasive surgery is done under a microscope.
- The thickness and type of bone at the implant's location determine which style post should be used. Local anesthesia and Dr. Linger Method TM Sedation Dentistry makes this a VERY comfortable process.
- 3) Your body immediately begins to “bond” the titanium post into place with bone or tissue. This is a very thorough process and may take from two to six months before the next step can begin. Many times this tooth or teeth can be placed immediately without the 2-6 month wait. Your body does not reject these new materials, but ties them in with great strength as if they were a natural part of your own body. You may elect to wear a temporary denture during this binding process, if you choose.
- 4) Once the titanium implant is tightly in place, a wider post is now attached to the titanium implant and your new tooth is attached to this second post with one of the worlds most secure and space age adhesives. Bonding is virtually forever!
- 5) You have a new tooth. You are the only one who knows it's man- made – and implants are so comfortable you'll soon forget which one it is.
Your body thinks it's your own - so will you!
"Dental implants are the most stable and economically far-sighted solution to the very real problem of missing teeth. This procedure is one which I have done repeatedly for satisfied patients over many years.
My friendly staff also has in-depth training and great experience in this area and will be happy to answer any questions that may occur to you." -Dr. Linger
Please contact us to setup a free consultation or if we can answer any questions for you. We look forward to helping you smile proudly!